Saturday, April 18, 2009

1st Triathlon!

Today I completed my first triathlon. So now I've officially progressed from someone "training for a triathlon" to a "triathlete." Maybe not a fabulous triathlete but a triathlete just the same.

So they had us line up around the pool and then as one swimmer finished the 400 yds, the next person would run down to that lane and start. The good thing about that is I was able to run to the bathroom 4 maybe 5 times without having to worry about missing my heat or turn or whatever. The downside is that you don't really have anyone to compete against since you don't start at the same time as anyone else. I was really glad to have a couple of friends from Cedar there who were competing as well. It was good for me to have a distraction of talking to them for the 45+ minutes we waited in line for our turn. I hadn't been that nervous since my last high school swim meet. So anyway, it's my turn and so I start the swim, totally paranoid because Jeff said that he was going to record it. So I get down to the end of the lane, completely misjudge, flipturn too soon and instead of pushing off the wall, totally miss it and basically stop still in the water. Awesome. The rest of the swim went okay, I atleast remembered what lap I was on- which may have been a first. After the swim I got out of the pool and headed outside. I'd like to say that I hopped out but there definitely wasn't any hopping going on. My legs were a lot shakier than I expected.

I made my way to the the bike racks and was lucky enough to have my bike on the end of one of the racks so I was able to find it easily. I think my transition was pretty slow-- I don't know that I have ever, in my life, put socks on wet feet. Ever. Didn't realize it would complicate things. So then I got on the bike. I've seen video of tiathletes who run and then throw their leg over the bike mid stride and off they go, clipping their shoes in as they go. Today I had more of a standing-still . . . lift-right-leg-over . . . attempt-to-clip-shoe-in . . . miss . . . hop-on-left-leg . . . attempt-to-clip-in-again . . . and then push off approach. And my legs were dead. I never realized how much warming up helps things. For me, not warming up before any of the legs of the race will probably be one of my greatest challenges to overcome. I've been spoiled- always able to go at a leisurely pace before really pushing it. As I was saying, the first while on the bike was pretty rough, but after 2 miles or so it started to feel a lot better and I was able to go a lot faster. The course was 2, 5 miles laps, with a couple hills. My favorite part of the bike leg was watching the other bikers coming in the opposite direction-- some would have huge grins on their faces because they were having so much fun they couldn't help themselves, while others were gritting their teeth and just FOCUSED. Anyway, after the 10 miles were over I got off my bike and took it back to the bike racks. Some people were running with their bikes-- yeah not me.

Then the run. My time was okay for me. Definitely going to have to suck it up and start working a lot more on my run speed and endurance. It was 2 laps on a path-- a total of 3 miles. If I said I ran the whole thing straight through I'd be lying. The first lap I could HEAR the water sloshing around in my stomach and my side was killing me- next time no water on the bike. And next time I am definitely wearing earphones because A) I can listen to music and B) I won't hear the panting and footsteps (footshtomps footshtomps) of the runner who is quickly approaching from behind and about to pass me. Again.

I finally crossed the finish line 1 hour, 27 minutes and some odd seconds later.*

Jeff has been awesome. First, last night he slept on the couch at his parent's house because I never get much sleep when we try to sleep in a queen bed together. (The triathlon was in St. George so we spent the night). Second, he woke up at 6:30 a.m. to drive me down to the pool. Third, as soon as I realized that I had forgotten my goggles he rushed to get ready and bring them to me . . and there are about a hundred other reasons. It still feels awkward for me to have him watching and me participating. But at the same time he is a great "cheerer." However, I'll be really glad when he starts doing triathlons with me even if it means that I lose my fan base of one. Unless on his first try he totally beats me by like 10 minutes. Then maybe I won't be so thrilled about us choosing a life sport to do together! Just kidding. Kind of.

Anyway, Jeff took quite a few pictures-- but I have yet to go through and censor them on behalf of my progeny. So I may or may not post them later.

*Ang, if you're wondering, yes, I did beat Spencer, by 2 minutes. Woot Woot.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Way to go! Way to stick with the goal, nor like me slacking off.

Katie Hansen said...

I'm proud of you for doing that. That's great.

Trish the Dish said...

Congratu -freakin - lations! I'm an always wanted to do it but never had the will power to actually pull it off type of person. Glad you're not. :)