Monday, June 16, 2008

We went to Cedar again this weekend. We were able to sort through every box in the garage and for the first time in our marriage have a 2 car garage that we can fit 2 cars in! The rest of the house is pretty close to being put together as well.

Jeff's mom let us borrow her steam cleaner so we took turns going around the house steam cleaning everything we could think of. Jeff even declared our toilet the cleanest toilet in Cedar City at one point. It's really kind of gross what come out of stuff that looks clean to begin with (I didn't ask if this happened with the toilet- didn't want to know). Or when you realize that the tannish-brown grout in your kitchen is really supposed to be more of a creamy-beige color. So gross. But at least now I can rest easy that the majority of the germs and dirt in the house are going to be our germs and dirt- that I can handle.

We also screwed the bookcases to the wall so that we don't have to worry about them tipping over on some unsuspecting toddler sometime down the road. Or more likely, me.

One fun reality check this weekend was how much it costs to get all the "staples" for a house- like cleaning supplies, ketchup, mustard, tin foil, toilet bowl brushes, plastic wrap, toilet paper, etc. When we were first married, the majority of our gifts came in money or gift cards. We used the gift cards to buy all that kind of stuff for our house- and since then have just moved it with us everytime we've moved- replacing them one at a time, as needed. Except this last time, I just left all that stuff for the 2 guys renting our house, hoping that if they already had the necessary materials to clean the house, they would be more likely to keep it clean. So now we are starting over and it is somewhat painful. Although Wal-Mart probably loves us right now.

1 comment:

Trish the Dish said...

Yeah! I'm glad you guys are getting settled. I wish I could come down to visit you! Hope your house is coming together so you can take a break for the last few weeks. You deserve it!