Monday, March 23, 2009

Home again.

Elea and I flew home from Omaha yesterday. A nice lady who was returning home after visiting her 10 month old grandson sat next to me in the terminal and then on the plane. That turned out to be a great help because she offered to fill up her bottle, and didn't mind it when Elea started to grab at her buttons, etc. I think people who are willing to risk sitting next to a baby on a plane should get double the good karma points. The flight was okay even though Elea only slept about a half hour. She seemed to enjoy the turbulence almost as much as she enjoyed tearing up the skymall magazine.

I was totally exhausted by the time the plane landed. And it felt like the bones on the front of my face were about to explode. How I have managed to catch 3 colds in 3 months I can't quite figure out. SO annoying. Jeff came to pick me up from the airport since his dad drove me down when we left. Before I could get to him by the baggage claim Elea threw up all over. I managed to catch most of it in my hand- again, thank goodness for the seasoned grandma who was willing to get the wet wipes out of my bag so that I could clean us up. Otherwise, I don't know how I would have held Elea in one arm, a handful of puke in the other, and gotten to the wet wipes in the backpack on my back. Probably I would have just sat down and cried for a few minutes. But I would be lying if I said that I wasn't proud of my increased tolerance for all things disgusting and mucus/vomit related-- 8 months ago, Elea wouldn't have been the only one throwing up. Needless to say when I finally made it to baggage claim I was very happy to see Jeff (and very relieved that I wasn't going to have to manuever getting my bag off the luggage carousel while holding Elea)!

Anyway, Elea was zonked by the time we got home and this morning when she woke up she was looking around sort of confused. But I pulled out her toys and she's managed to hurt herself twice on the drawers in the family room already so I think she's figured out that she is home. She's pulling herself up on anything she can get her hands on now- which she wasn't doing 10 days ago, so I am going to be baby proofing starting immediately. Whooppeee!

3 comments:

Rebecca Hunt said...

Sick. Love the puke story. :)

angie said...

she didn't puke once while you were here...what the heck? try claritin... my stuffiness is allergy related. whoda thunk?!

Lori said...

Thank heavens for kind strangers. I'm glad you had a good trip. We had to buy drapes for Gavin's room to make it darker. It really does seem to help them sleep longer.