I had a Dr. appt. this afternoon. Jeff and I went into it hoping that he would be willing to do an ultrasound to measure the baby to see if she is growing faster or slower than what is expected for the July 16th due date. Luckily, because Dr. Chalmers is so awesome, he did an ultrasound for us and measured her. She is measuring between 32-33 weeks on all of the measurements, so pretty close to right on. He said that she isn't gonna be a record breaker weight wise, but that she'll be a healthy weight, and I quote, "no 9 or 10 pounder."
THANK GOODNESS!!
Every single one of Jeff's Mom's babies were big-- the smallest of the 5 was 8 lbs and some odd ounces. According to the ultrasound measurements (which aren't exact by any means) she weighs 4 lbs 8 oz. or 4 lbs. 10 oz. (I don't remember exactly what he said). So even if she gains a half pound every week for the next 8 weeks that will still be less than 9 lbs! Yes! Yes! Yes! I'm hoping my genetics kick in and she is born in the 7 lbs range like my sister and I.
Her head is measuring large. Are we surprised? No. This family is notorious for big ol' heads.
Jeff was hoping that he would do a 4-d ultrasound because he is so curious about what she looks like. But I guess he didn't want to push his luck and ask for that too since this was already a non-routine ultrasound. I'm okay with not seeing what she looks like because that sort of feels like peaking or something.
The other good news is that she is head down now. The last ultrasound we had she was breech and so I have been sort of nervous about that, even though I have been pretty sure that the jabbing in my ribs was caused by her doing the running man on them. Dr. Chalmers said that at this point if a baby is head down they rarely flip back, and considering her head is so big, my guess is gravity will continue to do its job and keep her right where she is. And of course, for Jeff's sake, he did another crotch shot with the ultrasound and there is no doubt she's a girl. What a relief. :)
It would be great to be able to look in a glass ball and know exactly when she is going to be born. My parents are trying to figure out when to make flight reservations but they don't want to be waiting around for forever before she is born and then my dad have to leave too soon after she is born. Plus, Jeff and I are gonna be moving back to AZ about a week after she is born and my parents are helping us out with that so that is another little variable thrown in the mix. Just gonna have to cross my fingers that all the timing works out right. But really, when it comes down to it, just as long as she makes it safely and is healthy, I'll be a happy girl.
**We didn't get any print outs from the ultrasound so that's why there aren't any posted.**
Monday, May 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sounds like she's going to be like her mama! (outside of the big noggin, of course)
K so I have to make it known that I was the smallest. 8 pounds 8 ounces. What's with the big head comment. I don't know of actual big heads. It's all mental big heads.
Post a Comment