Thursday, May 15, 2008

I'm the lunch lady

Jeff's new work schedule makes it possible for him to leave everyday for an hour for lunch. Which is awesome and I have think I've celebrated about it more than once so far in my blog.

It makes my day go by incredibly fast because I have/get to shower and get ready and be to his work to pick him up at noon then we hang out for an hour and then I drive home. Big whoop, right? But here's the thing . . . it forces me to get up and shower and get dressed in regular clothes everyday by noon. There was a stretch there that I would go days without leaving the house. Which makes for a REALLY SLOW pregnancy. So it's been good the past 2 weeks to leave the house to hang out with Jeff one on one and we usually just end up sitting at the park eating sack lunches. Living with his parents, we don't end up talking one on one very much and I miss it.

He has decided to start Weight Watchers next week. He isn't gonna do the meetings, but I am trying to talk him into doing it on-line so that he has something to be accountable to. So needless to say, we are going to the new In-n-out in town today for lunch as a sort of last hoorah before sticking to just sack lunches while he is doing the weight watchers thing. For my sake, it's probably really good that he has decided to start doing it, because I got on the scale today and it ain't pretty. I sort of just stared at it with my mouth gaping open. Gaping open so long that I almost drooled on myself. If I was stuffing my face with crap food all day I would understand a little better-- but I've been waking up in the night starving so it's not like I'm eating TOO much. AND lately I've been craving crushed ice, shaved ice, any ice that I can get my hands on, and last time I checked, the caloric count of ice is just a little less than a milkshake which is what I was craving a couple of months ago. Who knows.

I think maybe I won't get on the scale again until 6 weeks after the baby is born, when I can start exercising again. Because obviously, walking or no walking, swimming or no swimming, yoga or no yoga, my body is doing whatever the hell it wants and really isn't bothering to ask my opinion in the matter.

. . . I really didn't plan on ranting about the pregnant weight gain thing but it sort of just happened. So . . . sorry, I guess.

*** I started to read over my post and realized that I wrote about our plan to go to in-n-out and within 2 sentences was complaining about my weight gain-- but in my defense, the last time I remember stuffing my face at a fast food restaurant was in March, this isn't an everyday or even every week thing!***

3 comments:

Gwen said...

Ok, this post is insane. If there is any point when you ought to try to stop obsessing about weight, it's when you're pregnant. It's like the gift you get in return for all the aches and pains and constant urges to pee. Don't even make me get all sociological on you and start pointing out that you're treating something completely natural as a problem that you need to control and comparing your pregnant body to a non-pregnant one, or that you're falling prey to cultural expectations that women somehow stay super-skinny while pregnant like Nicole Richie did, and lose all the weight within 2 weeks.

I'm serious about this. I saw you last week. You looked fantastic. Yes, you looked pregnant, but it would be a bit disturbing at this point if you didn't.

If none of that affects you, keep this in mind: you're about to have a little girl who is going to pick up signals about how she should feel about her body from you and Jeff. Think about that. You were freaking out about how girls have a drop in self-esteem around age 11; a big part of that is the suddenly become obsessed with all their physical "failings." Be happy that you are beautiful and healthy and look great, and pass that on to her.

kristina said...

Gwen:

I consider my self chastised. Or however you say it.

I really am staying off the scale from now on.

I think I'll probably need this pep talk from you every few months (&/or weeks) for the rest of my adult life so that I don't mess up my kid . . . just wanted to let you know so that you can get prepared. :)

Trish the Dish said...

Hey Kris - just have to let you know that you're not alone. It's hard not to have a jaw-dropping moment whenever you step on the scale - For heck sake - when was the last time you EVER weighed this much? But like Gwen said, it's really insane to let yourself go there. Um - your blood volume has doubled, you're carrying another person inside of you, and we won't even talk about what your boobs have done. And like you said, no matter what you do exercise wise, the weight will keep on rising (as it should - duh!) BUT... by not using pregnancy as an excuse to be a glutonous pig you are doing yourself and your baby a huge favor. I'm glad you're concerned about it but just make sure that it's for the right reasons (i.e. your baby's health, and your physical condition so that you can be strong enough to carry her to full term and have the stamina to push her big head out at the end!) Of all the times in your life, right now IS the time to be sure to exercise and eat right. Besides, just knowing you're doing all you can to stay in tip-top PREGNANCY shape (note- different than pre-pregnancy, by all means!) will hopefully give you a little peace of mind. But just try to remember, in about two short months, your little parasite is going to suck it all off anyway (for lack of a better term), so whatever obsessing you do over that silly milkshake is unnecessary. You enjoy it now, and she'll get it later. Believe me - you are going to be back to your see-through self in no time. :) Love ya Kris!!