On Friday, we went down to Vegas to hang out with Jeff's sister's family for the weekend since we hadn't been down to see them since Christmas.
On Saturday night, I woke up to go to the bathroom, in the dark, and when I pulled up my underwear it was pretty wet and I was really confused. But whatever, being pregnant, I've gotten used to random, slightly disturbing moments such as these.
But then all day Sunday it was kind of like more of the same, even though I was heading to the bathroom every half hour to an hour. Oh, and I'm a genius and didn't dry my feet off well enough and slipped like 6 inches on the tile in the bathroom that morning when I was getting out of the shower and pulled something down there. So that really didn't help matters any as I was constantly getting up and down all day.
Anyway, so then I started to wonder what the deal was and started to worry that I could be leaking amniotic fluid. (I've been having Braxton-Hicks contractions off and on a few times a day for the past month or so).
So when I looked on-line everything I read said "call your doctor, call your doctor, call your doctor." So I finally told Jeff what I was going on and called my doctor.
When he returned the page and I described what had been going on he said that I needed to go to Labor & delivery at the hospital so that they could do a test on the fluid to see if it was amniotic fluid or not. So Jeff and I packed up our stuff and left pretty quick to get back to St. George. We got there around 9:30 pm and they did all the admittance stuff. Then they took the 2 samples, one was for a test that showed the results immediately, the other was for a test that they look at under a microscope in the lab. The nurses saw fluid up there, whatever that means. The first test wasn't positive or negative, but somewhere in between so we had to wait for the lab test to come back. And they had me pee in a cup. (I never knew that pregnancy came with about 50 requisite urine sample "givings"-- it all starts with the initial peeing on a stick to find out if you are pregnant, but that is just the beginning).
Anyway, Jeff and I just hung out while we waited for the test result. They had put a fetal monitor and another monitor to watch for contractions on my belly so I sat and watched the blue lines and red lines go up and down on the screen. Jeff sat and watched ESPN because I made the mistake of letting him choose the channel.
The nurse came in to tell us that then lab results were negative, thank goodness, and it wasn't amniotic fluid. I still don't know what it was. BUT, before I could celebrate too much she said that my doctor asked her to "check me" to make sure I wasn't dilating because on the monitor, I guess the braxton-hicks contractions looked like something worth investigating.
. . . So I have now officially had my cervix checked and I think I may just wait until the baby's head is on its way out before I head to the hospital and have that little adventure again.
That came back with a good result too, I'm not dilating. So yay.
So at this point I still don't know what the fluid was. But at least according to their tests it isn't amniotic fluid. It was one of those situations where I didn't want to overreact, but at the same time, the risk of infection, etc., was too scary to not make sure that it wasn't a leak. I knew that one of these days we would need to get a water-proof mattress pad, I just didn't think it would be due to the risk of me wetting the bed. Awesome.
One good thing about all of this is that Jeff & I realized that we have been putting off things like buying a car seat and a few of the other legitimate "essentials," and that maybe now is a good time to actually buy them, just in case. I am a procrastinator by nature and driving back to St. George, not knowing for sure if I would be leaving the hospital that night or in a few weeks with a preemie made me realize that I have a lot of stuff I would like to take care of before the baby comes. Seriously, it sounds melodramatic, but when I was single, every time I would leave my apartment, I would think about what my family would think if I died and they came to pack my stuff. Last night, I was having those same kind of thoughts, not that I was going to die or anything, but that our room wasn't set up or ready for a baby to come home too.
On a side note: I also managed to give myself 1 pregnancy week extra credit all day yesterday. For some reason I had myself convinced that I was 33, almost 34 weeks. Even this morning when my sister called and asked how far along I was, I told her 33, almost 34 weeks. It wasn't until I got on my blog and looked at the pregnancy calendar widget that I realized I am 32, almost 33 weeks along.
On another side note: Last night Jeff came face to face (not literally) with a speculum for the first time, he seemed slightly disturbed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
so I definitely want a tutu for my little Rylee girl. Do I need to buy it off of Etsy or can I just go through you? Anyway, I love them and I am so glad your water didn't break quite yet it's still a little early! Good luck with the last part of your pregnancy!
I'm so glad everything is ok! You had me scared.
Though every stage of pregnancy is starting to be more and more horrifying--random fluids from who knows where???? Hmmm.
I'm glad everything ended up being fine. Vegas twice in one week, wow way to go. I tagged you, check it.
That sounds like FUN!! Yeah, the first time I got "checked" I was a little, um... disturbed. But now you know what to expect and it won't bother you a bit when you're actually in labor - you'll be ready to do anything to help the process "move right along". ;) Glad it was just a scare and nothing serious was going on. Truly, weird things happen when you're prego. You're doing so great! But I would definitely get a car seat. That's the one thing you won't be able to even leave the hospital without. Everything else is just in the details and doesn't really matter that much. Heck, the little baby could sleep in a dresser drawer, if all else failed, so don't sweat the small stuff (coming from a mom who obsessed WAY too much over the little things and is finally coming to grips with reality.) love you!
Post a Comment