Thursday, January 31, 2008

Lettuce or Cabbage?

This morning at 7:25 I got a text message from Jeff:
Thanks for not putting cabbage on my sandwich.
Let me explain:
Jeff leaves from school sometime between 6:30 and 7:30 every morning. Honestly, I am not sure what time he leaves because I am usually falling into my best sleepy time before he even kisses me on the forehead to say bye in the morning. On his work days he goes straight from school to work around 2 or 3 and on his non-work days he gets home about that same time. In an effort to save money and help him lose weight like he wants to, I started packing him a lunch every night so that he doesn't a) starve to death and get ornery and b) doesn't spend money on food every day. Last week, when I was making his lunch I saw two heads of lettuce in the refrigerator and one had been opened so I that is what I used on his sandwich. When I was ripping it to fit on the bread I noticed that it was a little thicker than usual, but didn't think about it too much. To be honest I was proud of myself for slapping more than just turkey and cheese on the bread before calling it good. The next night at dinner my mother in law had made minestrone soup. As I ate it, I noticed that the cabbage in the soup looked a lot like the lettuce I put on Jeff's sandwich the night before (that he ate for lunch that day). Because I have no pride and/or shame I told my mother in law the mistake I was pretty sure I had made with his sandwich and she got a good laugh out of it with me. Jeff's Grandma was at the table and heard and all I got from her was a disappointed shaking of the head and a chuckle. He hadn't said anything about it when we talked on the phone that day so I was hoping that I gotten away with it. But, unfortunately, his mom raised him to be a lot more picky and attentive to food than I'll ever be and after a hug hello his first question for me was:
Did you put cabbage on my sandwich today?
After his text this morning I realized two things. One was that this was the first time I had made a meat sandwich since the cabbage incident. And two, he hadn't seemed all that heartbroken earlier this week when I forgot to make his lunch. He probably felt a lot safer knowing his mom would pick up the ball I dropped and make it for him before he left for school that day!

3 comments:

Trish the Dish said...

Hey - one time I made cucumber bread instead of zuccini bread. I totally tried to cover my butt and pretend that it tasted good and that I'd done it on purpose. (It was nasty!) My roommates never let me live it down.

Lori said...

That is too funny.

Shanna said...

I love it!