Friday, January 11, 2008

ultrasound 2

I have been a major slacker in the posting department the past few weeks. I am finally home again after being gone for 3 weeks and I can't believe it is already Friday! This week has flown by. Jeff is back in school, taking 18 credits, plus working full-time so I am just praying his head doesn't explode by May.

We had another Dr. appt. on Wednesday afternoon. I tried to come up with some questions because the Dr.'s office talks like we should have a huge list of questions when we come in-- but I am too impatient to wait until we have an appt. to ask my questions. The second I have a question I start my own calling tree and call every woman I know who has been pregnant before until I get a hold of one of them! Anyway, since we didn't have any questions beyond how much weight gain is okay and not okay he had my lay down so that we could try to hear the baby's heartbeat through the doppler thing. He was moving it all over (my stomach this time- thank goodness!) and kept getting my heartbeat and couldn't find the baby's. I started to get nervous and then my heartbeat made this loud noise and the dr. said somethineg stupid and jumped or something like that, I don't really remember-- but I started laughing. And kept laughing. And he kept the doppler on my stomach so it was making this loud whooshing/wheezing sound because of my laughing-- which made me laugh more. SO AWKWARD. So then I asked him to take it off for a sec so that I could get control of myself, but then about 2 seconds later when he put it back on I started to giggle almost immediately.
Luckily, Dr. Chalmers is about the coolest doc any girl could ask for and he told us to hold on a sec while he checked to see if the ultrasound room was being used. It wasn't, so he snuck us into it and did a regular ultrasound really quick. I was surprised how big the baby was already. It actually looked semi-human! The head is HUGE right now and the picture the doc took totally looks like an alien. The heart beat was 164 beats per minute. The baby was moving around a lot so that is why he couldn't find it with the doppler (not to mention my laughing). Our next appt. is on the 30th and that will be 16 weeks so the doctor told us that he will do a thorough ultrasound then, and may be able to tell us the sex of the baby. I still don't think that I want to know. I may just let him tell Jeff-- but it will be a lot simpler to argue, I mean discuss, baby names and finally agree if we are only trying to agree on one sex!

** When we were leaving the Dr.'s office I told Jeff I was surprised at how human-looking the baby was already. He said he wasn't because of the pictures in the pregnancy books. Then he looked at me all accusatory and said, You haven't been reading the pregnancy books! YOU haven't been reading the pregnancy books!

Busted.

2 comments:

Gwen said...

If Jeff knows the sex of the baby you will know, because the colors of baby stuff he starts freaking out about will be a dead giveaway. If you don't want to know, you better not let him know.

Of course, you and Jeff won't be able to tell anything from the fuzzy picture--you could ask the doctor to lie and say it's the opposite of what it really is, just to play a little trick on Jeffie-poo.

Lori said...

When are you going to post ultrasound pics? I'm glad everything is going well. That is awesome he is going to do your ultrasound at 16 weeks. Most wont until 20 weeks, so for that reason you should find out the sex because you are lucky to find out so quickly. :) Well you know the myth is that higher the heartrate it is a girl and the lower a boy. So if that is true than that means a girl. I have known that to be true for everyone i know thusfar. Something to think about.