Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Dr. Appt.

I had one of my weekly dr. appts. yesterday. Jeff thought it was hilarious to watch me struggle with the stupid paper "sheet" they give you to cover yourself from the waist down. I was so uncomfortable sitting on the stupid table thing waiting for the doc and so I kept trying to rearrange myself to get more comfortable, but there are only so many ways a girl can sit/lay down while trying not to flash whoever enters the room. So he started laughing at me- which made me laugh, which made my belly shake "like santa" as he put it, so then he laughed even harder, and the cycle continued. I am sure the nursing staff outside the room were trying to figure out why we were so dang happy to be in there-- the paper sheet usually doesn't bring much joy to their patients, I would assume.

So the Doc *checked me and I am 1 almost 2 centimeters dilated and 50% thinned out. So not bad for being 38 weeks on Wednesday. His guess was that I would go into labor anytime from the 13th-17th. Pretty safe guess-- any day during the week I am due.

Being up in Salt Lake all last week, and being busy and up on my feet almost all day everyday made my feet swell up ridiculously. They look like cartoon feet because my toes don't swell, and my ankles don't really swell either, just my feet from the ankle bone down. It sounds stupid probably, but when my feet are all swollen, it makes me wish the baby would come ASAP, but today, the swelling is practically gone, and I am totally okay with being pregnant another couple of weeks.

One of the great things about my Doc is that I told him in one of our first appointments that I my goal is to have a natural childbirth. No drugs, limited monitoring, not stuck on the bed because of IVs, etc. He has TOTALLY remembered that and has brought it up in my last few appointments, saying that he really hopes that I go into labor on my own, etc. and am not weeks overdue because once there is any sort of medical intervention, it tends to put you down the road to more medical intervention. At this point, Jeff would be spiking my drinks with pitocin if he could get his hands on it-- but I want to avoid being induced at all cost.

*Note to self: whether "being checked" is just uncomfortable or hurts enough to make your leg cramp totally depends on the position of your cervix. The first couple of times I was checked over the past 2 months or so, the experience wasn't so bad. Yesterday was definitely not something I look forward to repeating next week- especially if there hasn't been any progress!

3 comments:

The Harris Family said...

I was so excited the first time they checked me and told me that I was heading twoards going into labor but then I went for weeks after that with little to no progress which was so depressing! Eventually I passed my due date which was so weird...to look forward to a date for almost a year and then see it pass...then I asked to be induced since it was already Dec. 21st and I didn't want a Christmas Eve baby! I hope you have better results!!

Lori said...

Hey you are farther along than I ever was. Yay! I can't believe only 15 days left. Ahhhhh!

Gwen said...

The doc is totally right--once you do one medical intervention, it starts making others more inevitable to counteract the negative aspects of the first one. Good luck!