Sunday, July 27, 2008

Elea's Baby Blessing


Last Sunday, the 20th, we had Elea's baby blessing at Jeff's parent's house. We originally were going to do it this Sunday, but all the family was in town last weekend for a mini family reunion so we decided to do it then.

Jeff was called to be the 2nd Counselor in Elders Quorum last week too, so he was set apart on Sunday too.

Because of Jeff's setting apart and me having to get ready, by the time we got down to St. George, Elea hadn't eaten in 4 1/2 hours and I knew everyone was waiting to change out of church clothes until after her blessing-- so like a true hormonal/emotional new mom I had a nice, short, little emotional breakdown. I was worrying about her being hungry (and at that point in my mind--starving to death) and at the same time worrying about the 30 family members waiting in the family room. I was holding it together until I took her out of her car seat and she made a sound-- looking back, I don't even think it was a sad sound, or the beginnings of a cry, but it was enough to get me crying because I felt so bad that she might be hungry while they gave her her blessing, etc. So my mother in law and my sister told me to just feed her and everyone can wait-- which is what I should have decided in the first place, really. Sounds silly that that was enough to send me over the edge-- but it did.

So anyway, after nursing her, we put her in her dress and went out to the family room. It was really sweet to see her surrounded by all the big men in the family. Jeff gave her the blessing, and my dad, his dad, Derek, Spencer, Justin, Jace, and Eric (a good family friend) were in the circle. The blessing was really good- Jeff did a great job. I am glad that we did it at home because he was able to take his time and the room was really quiet-- and all the family was able to be there.

9 comments:

camille swain said...

No worries, we all have break down moments as new moms. I think that just comes with the territory. Elea looked beautiful.

*tara* said...

she's beautiful! and i'll come over as often as i can! tell jeff if he wants he could totally hook me up with his baseball buddies! :)

Lori said...

She looks so cute in her dress. I'm glad it ended up going well.

Ruth said...

Wish we could have been there. Hopefully we'll be able to see her (and you) soon.

angie said...

some day you'll read this post and laugh because it totally sounds like an emotional mom!! you're such a cute little mom, and i miss you tons...ok, mostly the baby, but you know!!

Merideth Sullivan said...

I wish we could have been at the blessing. Actually, come to think of it, I wish we had been invited. Anyway, it sounds like it went really well; that's great. She's a cute baby. I'm really happy for you guys.

Posted by Landon

Becks said...

She's the cutest little cuzin and i love her hair!!!!!!! :] i luv u guys!!!

-Taylor

Melanie said...

I keep hearing how cute Elea is & so I FINALLY checked your blog, what a beautiful baby, she looks just like you did. We will be up in Cedar this weekend, if I can I would love to come by.

Trish the Dish said...

So cool. And I'm so with you on the breakdown thing - I think I did that at least once a day for Livi's first 6 weeks. Keaton is different for me, thankfully - I guess I knew what to expect so I haven't set myself up for failure - I just make sure to give myself plenty of time for everything, AND plenty of room for mistakes. ;) You are doing such a wonderful job!