Thursday, August 21, 2008

stupid stupid reflux

The past 2 weeks I/we've been struggling to get Elea on some sort of eating-sleeping schedule so that she will be used to falling asleep in her crib. I realized last week that if I didn't get her in the habit NOW then I would be in a world of hurt when my mom has to leave on the 25th.

We knew that she had gas/tummy issues but since she'd been held upright almost all day every day we didn't realize how bad. It's tricky because she doesn't spit up-- I can count the number of times she has spit up on one hand (of course my cousin Melanie stopped by and about 2 seconds after I told her not to worry about Elea spitting up-- she did).

I was trying everything-- I stacked about 30 books under one side of her mattress so that it is at a 45 degree angle, we finally bought a mobile, and I (we) spent hours by the side of her crib because she would just barely drift off and then she'd have a gas bubble trying to come up or her tummy would hurt and she would wake up with the super sad pain cry. So then we'd start all over and this pattern continues until by the time she FINALLY worked all that out and fell asleep for about 10 minutes, she'd wake up hungry because it was time to eat again. Anyway, after a week of feeling really sorry for the poor baby and feeling more and more exhausted, I made an appt. at the doctor this Tuesday.

Luckily, her pediatrician took my word for it about her reflux issues and gave us a prescription for baby Zantac. So far, so good. Last night I was up twice with her to nurse but was back in bed within an hour instead of 2. It was pretty fantastic. She is sleeping so much better-- it's great. The best part about sticking with the schedule last week is that now that she has the medicine she is falling asleep in her crib like a pro. :)

However, as far as reflux issues go, we are pretty lucky because she is still gaining weight. At a rapid pace. She weighed 10 lbs. 14 oz. and is already too big for most of her 0-3 months clothes. At this rate she's gonna be in 2T by her first birthday!

4 comments:

angie said...

if she's in 2Ts by age 1 she'll be right on schedule with sami!! i bought 3T pjs at costco the other day...thinking i could save them for winter. ya right...i tried them on her and they fit perfectly...not even baggy. just plan on having giant children!!

Rebecca Hunt said...

Sad about the reflux. Me, my dad and Emma all have that! It sucks! Emma was so sick the first couple years of her life because doctors couldn't ever put their finger on what was wrong. But when she was 3 they figured it out and she had to have a small surgery to fix her. Now she's great! My dad had the same surgery and mine is getting really bad these days too. Point is.... its no fun! The last picture you have... with you holding her is so beutiful. I almost cried! I'm so happy for you!

Melanie said...

Poor baby, but it sounds like things are better. Of course Elea is forgiven for spitting up on me. I need to come by again and see you guys, I had so much fun visiting. How ya doing with your Mom gone? If you ever want an out for a few hours come on down and hang out, we are so laid back it's scary!!!!! And also good for you for watching football, when they play Hurricane let me know and we'll head to the game!

Trish the Dish said...

Glad you figured it out! That's so stressful when you just can't get the schedule going right.You're doing so awesome Kris!