Saturday, December 8, 2007

gender specificity

Today my in-laws had Jeff and me meet them at Target so that we could point out the baby stuff that we like and the baby stuff that we don't like so they have some sort of idea what to get us for Christmas. There was a really cool car seat that I liked and it was different shades of gray. Jeff was really concerned about getting a gray car seat because he didn't think gray was appropriate for a girl. Then later there was a different stroller/car seat combo that we liked, but upon closer inspection jeff saw that it had lions (along with other noah's ark/jungle animals) on it.
His response was, "we can't get this, it has lions on it, if we have a girl, she can't have a car seat with lions on it!"
We had this same type of discussion about practically every item we looked at such that poor Kevin (my father-in-law) who walked into target "not believing in gift certificates" started to repeat over and over, "we just need to get a gift certificate."

Not surprisingly, Jeff assured me that if I woke up with a completely new personality and wanted to dress up our (possible) baby girl in all sorts of pink lace poofiness- he would be totally okay with it.

I still think it would be cool to wait until the baby is born to find out if it is a boy or a girl. But at this rate, Jeff's head might explode from all the pressure to find things gender neutral.

5 comments:

Gwen said...

Wait to find out the sex or MY head will explode with all this insanity. Why the heck can't a girl like lions??? And he is aware it's a BABY SEAT, right? Which the child will only use a few years? Please tell me he doesn't think it'll make her a lesbian.

Sigh. This process is going to make me really sad.

And I can guarantee you I will be giving you gender-neutral presents just to drive him nuts :)

angie said...

ok, first of all gwen is such a sociologist....ha ha ha and she's hilarious. jeff is also hilarious... i thought he was positive he would only make boys?!?! as a mother of 3 girls i do have to say that it gets really annoying when people think your baby girl is a boy, and a noah's ark car seat would do it!! but, people are stupid, so get what you like...the kid's not going to give a rip what pattern the car seat is.

kristina said...

i'm just crossing my fingers that our kid will be cute enough that people will be looking at he/she, not the design on the car seat!

Lori said...

We tried to get items/colors of bigger items for either sex because you don't want to buy new stuff for each sex or maybe you do. So strollers, carseats, swings, etc. we tried to work for either. Wait to find out? That is news to me. I thought you wanted to find out sooner than later. I will not be able to wait 9 months for you to find out. Please don't torture us, please!

Trish the Dish said...

In case you're wondering what I think (although you really shouldn't) I'll tell you - go for neutral when you're buying the big stuff, and save the pink or blue for clothes and toys - that is, if you really think pink is for girls and blue is only for boys... I love dressing Livi in blue. It looks good on her! Besides, the one time somebody actually mistakened her for a boy, she was literally wearing ALL pink. Go figure.