Sunday, December 2, 2007

one night's rest in peace

Sleeping has not been an easy thing for me since Jeff and I got married. Before we were married I took for granted how amazing my sleep was once I actually feel asleep. When we were first married we had a queen size mattress. After I was sick for the first three months due to lack of sleep we finally got a king. (Jeff is a big guy, he also has a tendency to do "hi-ya!" type knee, elbow, and fist moves in his sleep-- so I was waking up to a fist and or elbow to the face and a knee to the tailbone many times in the night). The king size bed is fantastic. Except that it doesn't create a sound and smell proof barrier between us. I have my fantastic hot pink ear plugs so that helps with the sound, but before we switched sides I would wake up to feeling his hot sleepy-breathe puffing my face at regular intervals. After getting him to rollover many times in the night to face the other direction (which also greatly improved my leg space because he also like to put his leg at a diagonal in my direction such that the only way to move it was a swift kick downward on my part or a very obvious passive-aggressive bounce down the bed as I got up to go to the bathroom) he told me that laying on his left side was his "natural side" so we needed to switch sides. We have. And it is great. There was a few elbows and fists to the face the first couple of night and he doesn't have a death grip on the blankets like I tend to so they keep falling of his end of the bed, but all in all I am pretty excited about the new arrangement. Now I get to sleep facing both directions which is great because for the first time in my life I wake up due to aching body parts in my sleep and his "natural side" has him facing the wall, not me.

I am almost positive it was a man who thought it was a great idea to get rid of two twin mattresses. Unless that was something that no one ever did, they just showed it that way on television. Regardless, I think it would be pretty great most nights.

**part of me feels really guilty writing this because Jeff is the best husband I could ever ask for. He woke me up yesterday morning to a gigantic breakfast in bed (even though I couldn't really eat it) and really does his best to make me happy. AND I understand that he doesn't hi-ya karate chop me in his sleep on purpose- at least I hope not.

3 comments:

angie said...

i am crying because i am laughing so hard!!! that is hilarious...i knew it would be! and your first mention of the "hi-ya"...ya i snorted! ha ha ha ha ha don't feel guilty...your venting about things that are totally out of his control!!

Shanna said...

I'm surprised that moster breath didn't knock you out completely!!

Trish the Dish said...

Um... I think every wife on the planet has just about the same complaint. I seem to have gotten a little better at ignoring the snores (or so it seems) but I have still been chronically sleep-deprived since our marriage 3 1/2 yrs ago. It gets much worse when you're pregnant too - I sympathize w/you honey! Take lots of naps (without Jeff)!