On Sunday one of the ladies in nursery asked if I would be able and willing to watch her two kids this week. She works from home and her normal day-care lady's baby has RSV so she can't watch the kids this week. So I said yes.
And then started to panic.
Okay, maybe panic is a slight over-exaggeration, but I did think/worry about it at least 50 times between 2 on Sunday when she asked and 8 this morning when I got to her house. I woke up this morning at 5:45 am and couldn't fall back asleep because I started thinking about what the crap I was going to do with the kids for 7 hours today. And tomorrow. And the next day.
And as usual, all my worrying was for nothing. She has a 2 almost 3 year old boy and a 5 1/2 year old girl who just barely missed the cut-off for kindergarten. They are both pretty mild-mannered and far enough apart in age that they get along. And he took a 2 hour nap. I have never seen that before. So besides being tired from waiting up for Jeff to get home from work last night and waking up worried early this morning, today went just fine. But at one point I sort of wondered what I had gotten myself into because as I was putting in a Frosty the Snowman Sing-A-Long I saw one of the characters on Young & the Restless and realized that normally I would have been awake for about an hour by then, maybe 2, but definitely not 5!
I think momhood is something one must grow into because my attention span is much shorter than children under 3 years of age. I have a very difficult time doing and redoing the same puzzle over and over and over and over and over again. And I am not a high-functioning individual without 7+ hours of sleep.
Wish me luck that tomorrow is just a repeat of today with the kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yes good luck with that but I do have to say one thing. Taking care of someone else's children is REALLY different than your own. I have a hard time with anyone else's children except my own. It's better with your own and you find your own little rhythm for your life. I still sleep in till 8am or even 9 am sometimes! haha I can't live without sleep!
Have you kept them alive so far?
Post a Comment