So this afternoon I went swimming. I was pretty proud of myself for making the 3 minute drive to the pool. Especially since I didn't have my car until after 2 pm and usually if I haven't done something by then, it just ain't happenin' that day. So I get in and start swimming the workout that the Master's team had posted for the day, just to see if I could pull the yardage off (obviously paying no attention to the set times). That's a whole different story, anyway, so I am using the kickboard, I don't have my glasses on, I've just turned around the far end of the pool and I see a guy on crutches walking toward the lane next to mine. As I get closer, I quickly realize that one of his legs is amputated about 3/4 of the way down his thigh. So I start feeling really awkward, not wanting to stare, but not really having a whole lot of other places to look since I was using the kickboard and my neck is tight when I turn it to the left so I can't even lay my head down that way. As I continue swimming I see him put one fin on, use a buoy between his legs, and then he swam, a lot, pretty fast too.
Long story short:
Today I felt very proud of my lazy butt self for actually making it out of the house and to the pool. Then when I made the decision to swim a whole mile I felt like I was the pregnant champ of the world. Then a guy with only one leg not only made it to the pool but he proceeded to swim circles around me. Then I eventually got out of the pool, my two legs slightly wobbly, feeling a lot less proud than when I got there.
Monday, February 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I think it is awesome you are sticking with the swimming. I did a few times while pregnant and stopped. So way to go, ignore one leg man. By the way, I like your new design and your new baby counter.
Kristina! Hey it's Merideth ... Landon's wife. How are you? We have a blog! It's merandlandon.blogspot.com. Congrats on the boy! When is your due date? You have to tell me how to make our blog cute.
Good job! I posted on one of your older blogs but I enjoyed catching up with your pregnancy! You are doing way more in the terms of exercising than I ever did when I was pregnant. haha
HA! that is funny. only you would have that experience i swear!!!
Post a Comment