#1- If a costume has to be labeled, find something different.
#2 Don't embarrass your baby straight out of the womb.

#3 If you are going to dress your baby up as food- try something more organic or plant based with less preservatives. Something is just not right about an over-sized hot dog.

#4 Whatever happened to just wearing a mask? I'm not a fan of the over-sized sweatband.

#5 Dr. Seuss is always a sure bet. (see #4 about the mask). Interestingly, the website had SOLD OUT of "thing 2" but not "thing 1."
#6 Having experience my fair share of self-inflicted embarrassing costumes, I think that it is fair to say that parents have the responsibility to just say 'no' to some costumes. It will probably be tough but no matter how many tears are shed- hold strong. (and no, this isn't me).
#7 Don't let the snazzy background fool you: To be a ghost all you need is a white sheet and a pair of scissors.
And finally, I almost bought this costume for my hypothetical child of the future. Although this thought deviates from the Halloween theme, it still applies:

When I was somewhere between the ages of 5-7, I was assigned to be one of the lambs in the Christmas pageant at church. I don't know if my mom forgot all about it, didn't care a whole lot, or just simply did the best she could, but regardless, I ended up on-stage in all my lamb-glory in a brown paper bag with cotton balls glued to it, turned upside down with a hole cut for my head, and an arm hole on either side. I spent the duration of the pageant trying to kneel/sit down but every time I did the bag would hit the stage and the lower half of my face would disappear into the bag.
In my mom's defense when I was in kindergarten I had about the coolest mummy costume a girl could hope for.
Any good costume ideas?





2 comments:
When I started to read about the lamb costume your mom made for you I began laughing out loud (in the history dept, where everything is so quiet you would be able to hear a mouse wiggle his whiskers) and everyone started giving me weird looks...but it was worth it, I can just imagine you in that bag!
The lamb costume story--and the lamb costume picture--is adorable.
My mom made me a pumpkin costume once. This involved a huge circle of bright orange fabric with side arm holes, leg holes, and elastic around the top to go around my neck. She painted a face on it with black paint. Then once I was in it she stuffed lots of crumpled newspaper in it to make it stand out like a fat pumpkin. And then there was a green hat. It was kind of awesome, to me anyway.
Later she was a lot busier and I got to go as a punk rocker every year. This was a lot easier because she could just tell me to cut up a shirt, rat my hair, and put on a lot of makeup.
Post a Comment