Saturday, October 13, 2007

suburbia

This morning I woke up to the sound of lawn mowers. I went outside and saw the men from almost every house on the street (including Jeff) mowing their lawns. After going back inside for a little while I was taking the trash outside and watched Jeff joking back and forth with the neighbors across the street. They were discussing this weeks ball games, etc. and I felt like I was spying on our life 5-10 years from now- all the men spending their Saturday morning fixing up the lawn just in time to go inside and watch the ball games. But I don't think that is a horrible thing. In the few seconds it took me to walk the trash out to the garbage can I witnessed Jeff having more interaction with the neighbor across the street than either of us ever did with our neighbors in AZ. I think that having a lawn to take care of in the front yard creates an opportunity for neighbors to interact beyond the awkward walking across the street with a plate full of cookies and knocking on the door without really having any idea what to say beyond the initial "we made you some cookies."
So, my note to self for the day: The next house we buy will have some sort of lawn that requires maintenance.

3 comments:

Gwen said...

I must object to this. It is environmentally irresponsible to have lawns in the desert. There, I said it.

What you do is, you have a nice desert landscaped lawn, and then you have a porch with rocking chairs. Then you sit there leisurely sipping lemonade, flipping through magazines, and WATCHING other people work hard in the heat caring for their lawns while you avoid arduous labor but can still chat. Believe me: I'm a Southerner and we know about the uses of lawns, porches, and rocking chairs.

kristina said...

My "note to self" has been edited to:
"make sure and buy a house with a sweet porch and desert landcaping OR don't live in the desert and have a lawn for Jeff to mow."

Gwen said...

Much better.