I finished the novel The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks last night. I had a difficult time getting into the book at the beginning. Well, to be honest, I had a difficult time getting into the book in the middle too. The characters are all loners who keep everyone at a distance, including each other, even when they are working together. So for me, it is hard to be drawn in and sympathetic to characters who have no sympathy for anyone. The book takes place in present day or maybe a little bit in the future. The author brings up ways that "big brother" or in this case "The Vast Machine" tracks "citizens" with them either oblivious or apathetic to the constant surveillance. For example, GPS systems like OnStar are really used to keep track of the owners, people are constantly watched with cameras on the streets (I guess this is partly true in London, Chicago, and if you're speeding in Arizona!), and the author even asserts that the floors in the casinos in Vegas slope down towards the casino so that it draws people from the hotel to the casino. I don't know how much is true and how much is exaggerated but my guess is that if it was all true the real "Vast Machine" wouldn't let a novel reveal all its secrets!
I'm having a difficult time describing the basic plot- I still don't understand it completely. Basically, there are a rare few who can leave earth, at least their "light" can, and the people who are trying to gain control of the "citizens" don't like that the "travelers" can escape to other realms. There are "Harlequins"* who's job is to protect the "travelers" and then finally there are the "Brethren" who are the top dogs trying to gain control of the world through information monitoring, cameras, tracking, etc.
Anyway, I must not have hated it or else I wouldn't be trying to make it make sense. It is the first in a series, but I'm not going to run out and buy the next book.
*I mentioned the Harlequins when I started the book because I kept getting images of large spotted great danes. Luckily, I was able to get past that about halfway into the book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I've read The Traveler also -- a lot of information to think about.
One thing I can tell you about is the slightly tilting floors in Vegas casinos. That's true, but only at the major hotels built in the last 10 years. It's all about guiding you toward the tables and separating you from your money!
From a guy who knows (unfortunately).
Hey you, I wish I could get into those kinds of books! Sometimes I will start them and I can't get into it so I put it down thinking it's not very good. Anyway I enjoy your reviews! I just got a book the other day from Deseret Book and it's all about organizing! I am on a mission to organize my house!
Post a Comment